Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Useful Site #2




Useful Site #2


Stack Exchange: https://stackexchange.com/

Stack Exchange is one of the most useful if not the most useful website I have encountered while studying for my degree. Stack Exchange is in itself a network of many smaller Q&A sites. The most commonly used website in the Stack Exchange network is Stack Overflow, a Q&A website for programmers, but some of the other ones I frequent are Super User and Server Fault. There is also another website called Webmasters, which is a subdomain of Stack Exchange and not its own domain, which I hope comes in handy with this my Web Programming class.

Stack exchange is the meeting place for a plethora of other Q&A websites on a wide array of topics, especially technical topics. If you have a computer related question, odds are it has been asked and answered somewhere in the Stack Exchange network. I use it more often than I care to admit when I'm having trouble writing code or managing my Linux and even Windows operating systems. Even today, in my Linux Administration class, I was having trouble figuring out how to give one of my users sudo rights on Debian, and thanks to Stack Exchange I realized I was making a simple mistake with the name of the group.

I would absolutely recommend that anyone with questions about technology consult this site at least on occasion. Although I do admit that it can become problematic if you rely on it as your only source of information, it is a nice fallback in case you can't find the information you're looking for anywhere else. The sheer amount of information on the website makes it a must use, and I'm almost positive that everyone in my Web Development class has used either Stack Exchange or one of its affiliate websites at least once in the past. I can't really stress how useful this site is in a bind. Even without asking a question yourself you can usually find someone else has asked it, or at least something similar enough to fill the gaps. The mobile version is a bit lackluster; the font size is a bit too small and it really just looks like a poorly scaled desktop site, but otherwise, Stack Exchange is a godsend.

No comments:

Post a Comment